Epsilon-Iota Legacy Center Inductees

2009 Inductees

John E. "Doc" Martie (Kappa Lambda; 1893 - 1982)

"Doc" was born in 1893 in California, Missouri, a suburb of the state capital, Jefferson City. He was raised in Missouri and graduated with a B.S. from the Booneville Military Academy, where he received a lot of gold medals in track and field.

At the outbreak of World War I, Doc joined the U.S. Army and served on the front lines in the Argonne region of France in the First Division of U.S. 16th Infantry Regiment. He received many medals for heroism on the field of battle, including the Silver Star, the Purple Heart, the Bronze Star, the Distinguished Service Cross, the French Croix de Guerre and the French Legion of Honor. After the war, he received an M.A. from the YMCA College in Springfield, Massachusetts.

In the early 1920s, Doc was invited to be the basketball coach at Elko High School. In 1923, he arrived at the University of Nevada as an assistant basketball coach and trainer for then Coach Raymond "Corky" Courtright. Although his main assignment was as a basketball coach, he decided to enlarge on the two or three courses then available in physical education and gradually gave more of his time to the recreational needs of male students at the University.

Sometime after arriving at The University of Nevada, Doc was initiated into Kappa Lambda. In the 1928 Artemisia (University yearbook), his picture is listed with the Senior Class of Kappa Lambda, and the caption reads: "Professor of Physical Education for Men, President of the Far Western Conference 1926, Basketball and Track Coach, Trainer of the Football Team, and Fraternity Faculty Advisor." In the late 1920s, Doc married his wife Ann, and they had two children, Kathryn and John A. Martie (EI 431).

Doc's career at the University of Nevada spanned 40 years, until his retirement in 1963. During that time, he was Nevada's basketball coach for 17 years. He set high standards for those men who played for him; and if any athlete on a team he coached did not maintain at least a "C" average, he was off the team. Eventually, Doc's interest in developing a physical education program at the University was complicated by the demands of intercollegiate sports, which he supervised as the director of athletics. According to UNR History Professor Jim Hulse, there was a dispute in 1939 between Doc and the boosters of football, which resulted in the separation of the physical education program from intercollegiate sports. This move pleased Doc, because he was an advocate of a strong intramural program for those students who had no opportunity to participate in the highly publicized, high-pressure intercollegiate sports.

Today, UNR's Athletic Department owes much to Doc Martie as the founder of its Physical Education Program. In appreciation of his years of service, the Department established the "Doc Martie Award" in 1960, an award given each year to the University's top male senior student athlete, who is in his final year of eligibility and in good academic standing. Dozens of male athletes have received this award, including such well known stars as basketball players Marcellus Kemp and Nick Fazekas, and football players Chris Vargas and Tony Zendejas. Each award winner carries on the legacy of Doc Martie.

Bill Maupin (EI 646; 1945 - )

Bill's father served as an M.D. in the U.S. Army Medical Corps for 30 years and his mother was an accomplished surgical nurse and hospital administrator. After his father retired from the military, the family relocated from Oklahoma to Las Vegas, where Bill attended Western High School. Bill was set to become the fourth generation of Maupin physicians -- on track to enter the pre-med program at the UNR -- when an attorney spoke to his class on career day, changing the course of his life and future career.

Graduating from UNR in 1968, Bill went on to the University of Arizona, College of Law, where he graduated ninth in his class in 1971. He began his professional legal career as a law clerk for the attorney general's office in Carson City, but he soon signed on as an associate with a private firm. He went on to hold positions in two other Nevada firms and with the public defender's office. From 1971 to 1993, Bill engaged in a wide variety of criminal and civil litigation. His work included high-profile cases that ranged from a quadruple murder, to the MGM Grand fire. Watching the presiding Judge in the MGM case gave Bill the inspiration to aim for the bench himself.

In 1993, former Nevada Governor Bob Miller appointed Bob as a district court judge in the Eight Judicial District, Clark County, Nevada. In 1996 he was elected to the Nevada Supreme Court, where he served for 12 years. He retired as Chief Justice in January of 2009. During his judicial career, Justice Maupin spearheaded the Nevada Court Annexed Arbitration system, one of the most comprehensive alternate dispute resolution programs in the United States. He provided leadership in re-drafting the Nevada Rules of Civil Procedure, and chaired the Commission to Revise the Nevada Code of Judicial Conduct. He also created the Indigent Defense Commission, the Task Force on Mental Health and the Criminal Justice System, and the Commission that studied the sealing of records.

Justice Maupin is a past member of the State Bar of Nevada Board of Governors, the Nevada District Judges Association, and the National Conference of Chief Justices. His awards include the "Roger D. Foley Professionalism Award" from the Clark County Bar Association, the "First Amendment Champion Award" from the Nevada Press Association, the "Liberty Bell Award" from the Clark County Bar Association, a "Citation of Appreciation" from the Clark County Pro Bono Project, and a "Citation for Service" on the Court's Committee on Alternate Dispute Resolution from the Nevada Supreme Court. Justice Maupin was also recognized several times with the Highest Rating for Retention as a District Court Judge and as a Supreme Court Justice, in the annual Clark County Bar Association Survey.

In addition to his significant accomplishments in the law, Justice Maupin is a dedicated humanitarian. For many years he has traveled to Cohabas, Haiti to assist a medical team that provides free eye care to patients that would not otherwise receive treatment.

Upon his retirement in 2009, the Las Vegas Review-Journal editor wrote: "... a state's judges should be among its wisest, most competent, most ethical and respected citizens. Bill Maupin has been all those things. His example on the court sets a high standard; he will be missed."

Thomas Hultin (EI 1000; 1964 - )

Thomas was born in 1964 in Djursholm, Sweden and immigrated with his family to the United States at a young age. After completing elementary school in Southern California, his family moved back to Sweden and then eventually moved back to the states where he graduated from Carson City High School.

In the fall of 1983, Thomas joined Lambda Chi Alpha because "they had the best kitchen and cook" (Mrs. Watson). While at UNR, he was involved in campus activities and served, among other positions, as High Alpha, IFC President and Chief Justice for the ASUN Judicial Council. He was very active with the house remodel and along with being a member of the Kappa Lambda Education Foundation Board and Kappa Lambda House Board.

Upon graduation in 1988 with a B.S. in Geophysics, Thomas went to work with the United States Air Force as part of their Defense Environmental Restoration Program cleaning up hazardous waste sites. Thomas was then offered a fully funded research grant at the Desert Research Institute where he created a computer model of the groundwater flow of Pahute Mesa on the Nevada Test Site and pursued a Master’s degree. After receiving his Master's degree in Hydrogeology from UNR, Thomas then worked for several consulting companies on such projects as municipal water supplies, mine pit dewatering and environmental cleanup.

Having invested in real estate, Thomas is now a full-time property manager. His free time is spent with his wife, Linda; son, Chip and daughter, Elsa. Thomas is also very active as a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) where he is a voice for abused and neglected children in the Washoe County court system. He has served as a member of the Regional Water Planning Commission, the Washoe County Stream Advisory Committee and is an active member of several Masonic bodies including chairman of the Knights Templar Educational Foundation, which gave $24,000 in scholarships to UNR students in 2009.

2008 Inductees

Cameron Batjer (EI 216; 1919 - 2011)

Cameron M. Batjer was born August 24,1919 to Mary Belle (Mabel) McVicar Batjer and Franz Wilhelm Robert Batjer on the McVicar Ranch in Smith Valley Ranch in Smith Valley, Nevada. Shortly thereafter the family moved to Burmah, Idaho. In October 1923, the family returned to Smith Valley, Nevada.

Cameron attended school in the Nevada communities of Smith Valley, Mosquito Valley and Fort Churchill, graduating from Smith Valley High School in 1937. He graduated from the University of Nevada (Reno) in 1941 with a Bachelor of Arts degree. While at the university he was a member of the Epsilon-Iota Zeta of the Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity.

From 1941 to 1942, Cameron taught school in Dayton, Nevada. While in Dayton, he met and married fellow teacher Lura Gamble of Hazen, Nevada. They have three daughters: Lura Batjer Caldwell, Christina Batjer, and Marybel Batjer. Mrs Batjer died in 1997.

In June 1942, he joined the U.S. Navy and was assigned to the 25th Naval Construction Battalion (Seabees). In 1943, he was transferred to the 19th Regiment of the 3rd Marine Division. While on Guadalcanal he received a Commission as an Ensign in the U.S. Navy and was subsequently transferred from the U.S. Marine Corp to the staff of the 7th Fleet in Brisbane, Australia. (He there served under General Douglas MacArthur). In October 1945, He was transferred to the Mine Warfare Test Station in Solomons, Maryland, where he served until his separation from active duty in November 1945.

Upon returning to Nevada, Cameron resumed his teaching career in McGill, Nevada. In 1948, he was appointed football and basketball coach and teacher at Fernley High School. Even though he was very proud of his winning football and basketball teams, he decided to attend law school at the University of Utah.

In August 1950, Cameron received a Juris Doctorate degree and was admitted to the Utah Bar. He was subsequently appointed to the position of attorney for the Utah State Senate. In 1951, in order to re-establish Nevada state residency, he taught school in Carson City for one year. While teaching, he passed the Nevada state bar examination and was admitted to practice law in the state of Nevada. In 1952, he became and associate in the practice of law with Frank Gregory in Carson City.

In December 1952, Cameron moved to Washington, D.C. to accept the appointment of staff attorney for the Mines and Mining Subcommittee of the U.S. Senate working for Senator George "Molly" Malone. In June 1954, he became deputy district attorney of Ormsby County and deputy city attorney of Carson City. With the departure of the district and city attorney later that year, he was appointed to those positions. In November 1954, he was elected district and city attorneys. In 1958 and 1962, he ran, unsuccessfully, as the Republican candidate for state Attorney General, but returned to private practice in Carson City in 1959.

In May 1967, Governor Paul Laxalt appointed him to the Nevada Supreme Court. While Chief Justice of the Court, he became the Deputy Chairman of the Conference of Chief Justices. In November 1981, he retired from the Nevada Supreme Court to accept President Ronald Regan's appointment as Chairman of the U.S. Parole Commission. In October 1989, he retired from the U.S. Parole Commission and returned to Nevada.

Andrew Morby (EI 130; 1906 - 2007)

Andrew was born on Jan. 13, 1906, which began a life span of 101 years. His father was born in Sweden, and his mother was born in Scotland. They met in New York and eventually moved west to Ogden, Utah and Idaho, where Andrew's father got a job with the Southern Pacific Railroad as a conductor. He was transferred to Sparks, Nevada in 1926 when Andrew was 20 years old, and this area became his home base for the next 80 years.

Andrew enrolled at the University of Nevada in 1932, in the depths of the Great Depression. He was already 26 years old when he started college. His sister and his son remember that he was an excellent student, who had an incredible gift for learning foreign languages. He was also a skilled gymnast and served as Captain of the Nevada Gymnastics Team. His sister recalled that he once walked around the Reno High School basketball court on his hands.

He graduated in four years near the top of his class in 1936 and was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He received a French scholarship for his work in foreign languages and even received an award from the University of Nevada for having one of the best personal libraries of students in his generation. After completing his undergraduate education, he attended McGill University in Montreal, Canada, where he utilized his French-speaking skills. He eventually received a Master of Arts in Language Studies from the University of Nevada, where he wrote a thesis on the Mexican Revolution.

In 1935, Andrew joined Lambda Chi Alpha. His son Jeffrey once said that Andrew thought Lambda Chi Alpha was the most wonderful experience of his young life. Upon his death in 2007, his involvement with Lambda Chi caught the attention of his family when a niece provided them with a picture of Andrew's initiation into the fraternity as they were going through his things in preparation of his memorial service in May of 2007. Andrew must have been the star of his pledge class, posing as a character called Snuffy Smith (taken during a skit performed by his pledge class).

The most significant event in Andrew's life after he graduated from the University of Nevada was his marriage to Velda Warren. Though they had known each other in college, Velda married another man with whom she had a son, Jeffrey. However, this marriage did not last, and Andrew married Velda in 1942, adopted five year old Jeffrey as his son, and then left to fight for America in World War II for three years in the South Pacific.

Andrew was a Morse code operator on an 8-acre island called Macan, 45 miles off the west coast of Java in what is now Indonesia. His island was bombed daily by Japanese aircraft. When he left the island, he was in charge of guarding Japanese prisoners on an American warship, and when his tour of duty was completed, he spoke fluent Japanese learned from the persons he was guarding.

After the war, Andrew and Velda's life together became a true love story. Their interests were totally compatible, his focus being language and literature, and hers being art and writing. She painted hundreds of paintings. Together they traveled the world, with Andrew playing the guitar as Velda painted some far away scene.

During his lifetime, Andrew Morby had become proficient in 12 foreign languages, including such exotic tongues as Swahili and Greek. At age 101, just prior to his death, he was in the process of teaching himself Arabic. He was very intellectual and read a book a day. He personally taught his son Jeffrey to speak Spanish, French, and Portuguese.

Several years ago, the Andrew and Velda Morby Educational Foundation was established, which he chaired, and this Foundation has given out 25 first year college scholarships since its inception, most of which have been used here at UNR. One is given to a graduate of Reno High School who is majoring in languages, and the other is given to a person majoring in the arts. It is a lasting legacy of a remarkable man and his wife, who rose from humble beginnings to be a major influence in the lives of his students. Through it all, Andrew Morby never lost his humility or his sense of humor. When asked at his 100th birthday party how he managed to live so long, he responded: "Just plain dumb luck."

Larry Struve (EI 572; 1942 - )

Larry was born in Los Angeles, California, Oct. 30, 1942, and moved with his family to Reno in 1947. He attended public schools in Reno from 1947-1960, graduating from Reno High School in 1960 with honors.

At the University of Nevada, Reno from 1960-1964, Larry majored in Political Science, with minors in English, Speech and Debate, and German. He pledged Lambda Chi Alpha in 1960 and served as ASUN Senator from 1962-1963. He was then elected ASUN First Vice President for the 1963-64 term, chairing the Finance Control Board and Publications Board of the ASUN. As a member of the University of Nevada Debate Team from 1960-1964 he won the Nevada Great Western Debate Tournament in 1962 with Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity brother Patrick Clary (EI 557). Larry's campus involvement included membership in Phi Kappa Phi (scholastic honorary fraternity), Pi Sigma Alpha (Political Science Honorary Fraternity), and Delta Sigma Rho-Tau Kappa Alpha (Forensics honorary fraternity). He was awarded a Woodrow Wilson Fellowship (a graduate scholarship of the national Woodrow Wilson Foundation) in 1964, while still a student at the University of Nevada. He later served as President of the UNR Alumni Association for the 1973-74 term, leading the restoration effort of Morrill Hall on UNR campus, and was a member of UNR Alumni Council, 1977-1980.

In 1964-1965, Larry attended the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University in Medford, Mass., earning an M.A. degree in international relations in 1965. He later authored a book, In the Shadow of Camelot (Black Rock Press, 2005) which contained memoirs from each member of the Fletcher Class of 1965.

From 1965-1968, Larry attended Boalt Hall School of Law at the University of California at Berkeley, earning a Juris Doctor degree in 1968. In that time, he married Colleen Quinn (UNR Class of 1969 and member of Delta Delta Delta Sorority), and they had 2 daughters, Heidi (UNR Class of 1996 with honors) and Shannon. Larry and Colleen have three grandchildren (and counting).

Larry served as law clerk to U. S. District Court Judge Bruce R. Thompson, District of Nevada, in 1968-1969. He was admitted to the Nevada Bar in 1968 and joined the Wait & Shamberger law firm in Reno (1969-1971), and then was appointed as a deputy in the Washoe County District Attorney's Office (1971-1978) where he served as Chief Deputy District Attorney and County Counsel for the Washoe County Commission (1975-1978).

In 1979, Larry was appointed Chief Deputy Attorney General of Nevada by then Attorney General Richard H. Bryan, and served through 1982. When Richard Bryan was elected Governor of Nevada in 1982, he appointed Larry Director of Commerce for the State of Nevada, where he served through 1993. In 1993, he was then appointed Chief of Business Finance and Planning for the Nevada Department of Business and Industry, where he served until he left state service in 1997.

In 1998, Larry formed a professional corporation, Larry D. Struve, Chtd., serving as a legal and public policy consultant. In 2001, he was appointed as the Legislative Advocate for LAMN (Lutheran Advocacy Ministry in Nevada), representing the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) in the Nevada Legislature and RAIN (Religious Alliance in Nevada, which includes the Catholic Dioceses of Las Vegas and Reno, the Episcopal Diocese of Nevada, the Nevada Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church, USA, the United Methodist Church, and the ELCA.) Altogether, the denominations of RAIN include over 500,000 Nevadans participating in over 400 parishes throughout Nevada. In June, 2008, Larry was appointed Assistant to the Bishop for the Grand Canyon Synod of the ELCA, serving as Director of Advocacy for ELCA Lutherans in all of Nevada. In addition to his work for faith organizations, Larry and his former debate partner, Patrick Clary, also co-founded the Nevada Committee on Foreign Relations in January 2002, which has resulted in many nationally recognized foreign policy experts coming to Nevada to share their knowledge in an age of globalization of both trade and terrorism.

In 1999, Larry joined the group of 40 alumni of Epsilon-Iota Zeta to help in the effort to restore the Chapter House of the fraternity. He served as secretary of the group, keeping notes and minutes of the decisions required to complete the restoration project. In 2008, he announced his pride in the current members of the active chapter for bringing the fraternity back to a respected leadership role on the UNR campus, consistent with the nearly 80 year tradition of this fraternity on the Nevada campus.

Larry shared with his fraternity brothers the words of one of the founders of the Epsilon-Iota Zeta, Dr. Ernest Inwood, who joined Kappa Lambda in 1923. In 2001, when Dr. Inwood was 95, he told Larry that during his life on this planet, he learned that we live in a planned universe. Everything happens for a reason. When Larry asked him what the restoration effort would mean in the universal scale of things, he replied that everyone has to wait for events to unfold; and by looking back, it is then possible to discern the meaning of each event. When Larry was inducted into the Epsilon-Iota Legacy Center on April 5, 2008, he looked around at all the new active members and thanked them for providing an answer to his question of Dr. Inwood.

As a testament of his life's accomplishments, Larry noted in his memoir: "Everything I have experienced has taught me that the greatest good is in serving others."

2007 Inductees

Gene Gardella (EI 563; 1942 - )

Gene was born in East Ely and lived in Pioche. His family soon moved to Yerington where they lived until he was in the seventh grade. His dad was a County Agricultural Extension agent, prompting Gene's involvement in 4-H programs throughout elementary and high school, and developing skills which ranged from camp cooking, gardening, and lamb raising -- not to mention "looking forward to all the hot chicks" each summer at 4-H Club Camp at Lake Tahoe.

Gene's family moved to Reno in 1954, and he went to Central Junior High and Reno High School. He was still involved in 4-H and took up skiing, a season of junior high basketball, continued playing the accordion and took up the saxophone in the school band, played a season of JV Football at Reno High and joined the Reno DeMolay.

Gene graduated from Reno High in 1960 and went to University of Nevada, Reno, pledging Epsilon-Iota in 1961 with many of his friends from the Reno Demolay. Gene formed many lasting friendships, learned a lot about people and life while having a great time. He was honored by being elected High Alpha in 1963.

Gene attributes his leadership roles in the fraternity as an undergrad in helping him learn and understand how to operate and effectively function an organization or business -- skills that have been of tremendous value to him throughout the years.

While at UNR, Gene spent the summer of 1963 in Europe with a group of fellow students and Economics Professor Vim Houwink. He graduated with a B.S. degree in Marketing. Gene married Diane Marshall in 1964, and spawned a Legacy with son Greg Gardella (EI 1014), followed by younger brothers Mark and Chris.

In January 1965, Gene was commissioned in the U.S. Army as a 2nd Lieutenant and spent a year in Vietnam, returning to Reno after a two-year tour of duty. Soon after, he was appointed as an Agent for Allstate Insurance Co. (40-plus years and still doing it) and continued in the Army Reserve for 11 more years.

Over the years, Gene has remained involved in the greater Reno area. He served on several community boards and committees including the City and County Parks and Recreation, Washoe County School District, Nevada State Child Care Advisory Committee, Verdi Community Advisory Board, Truckee Meadows Soccer League and KNPB-Channel 5. His commitment to Epsilon-Iota shows in his having served on the Kappa Lambda Educational Foundation Board of Trustees, and having helped the fund-raising effort for the 2002-2003 Chapter House Restoration Project. His hobbies include glass art, sculpting, print-making and welding.

"The fraternity experience is important," Gene says. "It helped establish valuable, long-term friendships, and throughout the years has given me a core group of people I know and continue to connect with throughout the community."

Steve Watson (EI 706; 1948 - )

Steven Watson is a third-generation Nevadan who was born in Minden. His grandmother, Emma Nevada Munk Palmer (Pi Phi, Nevada) was from Lovelock; his mother, Dorothy Emma Palmer Watson (Kappa Alpha Theta, Nevada) from Reno; and his father, Kenneth Watson, EI 133 (Lambda Chi Alpha, Nevada) came to Reno from Oregon to attend the University of Nevada.

Steve graduated from Douglas County High School in 1967, where he served as Student Body President, Class President and Class representative to the Student Council. He was selected for All-State in both football and basketball, and was inducted into Douglas' Football Hall of Fame. He also ran track, played in the band and played on the school's first golf team.

While attending the University of Nevada, Steve was an active member of Lambda Chi Alpha, serving as High Alpha, High Kappa and Steward. During his time at UNR, Lambda Chi membership averaged around 80 men but peaked at 106. He also stayed active in intramural football, basketball and badminton. Steve was also a member of the Blue Key Society and named as Outstanding Student in the West.

After graduating in 1971 with a degree in Business Administration, Steve went to work for the State of Nevada Welfare Division, in charge of the automated accounting system. He later transferred to the Employment Security department, where he served as Cost Accountant, Principal Accountant, CFO and lastly Administrator of Operations. In 1972, Steve married Anita Ernst, PhD and Crescent of Lambda Chi Alpha.

In 1988, Steve was hired by the Nevada Legislative Counsel Bureau, where he served for 16 years as the Chief Deputy Director. His areas of responsibility included: Accounting, Information Services, legislative Police, Building and Grounds, General Services, Media Services and general operations for the Nevada Legislature. He was active in the Nevada Legislative Services and Security Association, serving as president, vice president, and treasurer. He received the Tony Beard Memorial Award for Lifetime Achievement, the John Everhardt Trooper Award for professionalism and integrity, and the Legislative Staff Achievement Award to recognize excellence in legislative staff work. Steve was also active in the State of Nevada Administrator's Group, serving as their president and vice president. He was appointed by the Governor to the Employee Deferred Compensation Board, where he served as chair and vice chair.

Steve and Anita have three sons: Andrew Watson (EI 1155), a major in the U.S. Army; Joshua, an officer with the Reno Police department; and Lucas, an Adjudicator for the State of Nevada Employment and Training Department. Steve is active in the community through his church, First United Methodist, where he has served as Sunday School teacher, president of the Men's Club, and chairman of the Administrative, Education, and Staff Parish Relations boards. His association with the Boy Scouts of America spans over twenty years and includes serving as Webelos leader, Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Committee Chair and the Pinenut District Chair. He received the District Award of Merit and was inducted into the Pinenut District Hall of Fame. With three boys, he was also active in youth sports including soccer, Pop Warner football, Little League baseball, basketball and track. Steve has also been an active member of the Greater Nevada Credit Union, serving on the Board of Directors and the Audit Committee.

Since retiring from the State of Nevada in 2003 after 33 years of public service, Steve has worked as a consultant for Hartford Life and ING Financial, and as a lobbyist during the 2005 Nevada Legislative Session. He passed his state exams for life and health insurance in 2007, with the goal of becoming licensed with the Security and Exchange Commission. He intends to help state and local government employees manage their supplemental retirement plans.

Along with his father Ken and his son Andy, Steve endowed the kitchen in the remodeled Lambda Chi Alpha house. Their names are noted on a plaque above the kitchen door. Anita and Steve enjoy spending time with their family including, as of 2007, their five grandchildren. They also enjoy traveling, volunteering and working around the house.

2006 Inductees

Bob Shirley (EI 549; 1937 - )

Bob Shirley was born in Visalia, California in 1938 and grew up (mostly) in Tulare, California. His father was in the construction business and during World War II his family went wherever the work took us. As a result, my childhood was spent in a variety of towns in Central California and Northern Nevada. In high school he played football, was on Class Council, and participated in school plays as a stage hand and properties manager. From 1952 to 1960, He was a member of the Order of De Molay and was a Master Councilor in 1955. A year later he was honored with the Chevalier Degree for Outstanding Service to the Order.

Before transferring to the University of Nevada he attended California State Polytechnic in San Luis Obispo. He married in my senior year at UNR and graduated in 1962 with a Bachelors of Science in Civil Engineering. While at UNR He was an active member of Lambda Chi Alpha.

After graduation, he worked as an assistant highway engineer for the California Division of Highways, planning new freeways in Southern California. He is a Registered Professional Civil Engineer in California. When his father-in-law retired in 1965 he moved to Las Vegas to take over the family laundry and dry cleaning business.

He became very active in the fabricare (laundry and dry cleaning) industry. He served as president of: the Fabricare Association of Southern Nevada in 1985, the International Fabricare Institute from 1996 to 2002, and the International Fabricare Foundation in 2002. He also served as the Chairman of the Board of International Fabricare Institute from 2001 to 2002. He was a member of several business and civic organizations, and served as president of the Las Vegas Exchange Club and the Better Business Bureau of Southern Nevada (twice). After thirty five years on the Board of Directors at the BBB, he was made Director Emeritus.

After owning and operating City Laundry and Dry Cleaners in Las Vegas for 38 years, He sold the business and retired in 2003. He continues to stay active in the community as a member of the Southern Nevada Executive Council and the Kiwanis Club of the Las Vegas Strip, and as a Director of the New Horizons Academy, a school that offers non-traditional learning programs for children. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the Kappa Lambda Educational Foundation.

His wife Susan and he have been married since 1987. They enjoy their rescued greyhound and beagle, three children and four grandchildren: Michael (EI 1292) and Amanda attending UNR; Timothy attending Eastern Kentucky University; and Garrett in high school. Among other things, the kids are teaching me lacrosse (they play, he watches!). Susan and he also work with the local Greyhound Adoption and Rescue group.

He enjoys giving back to the Las Vegas community and to Lambda Chi Alpha. He is honored to be part of the Kappa Lambda Educational Foundation and an inductee in the Epsilon Iota Legacy Center.

2004 Inductees

Myron Leavitt (EI 385; 1930 - 2004)

Except for short periods while attending college, Myron E. Leavitt lived all of his life in Las Vegas, where he was born in 1930. He graduated from Las Vegas High School (as did all 11 of his children), where he distinguished himself in academics, athletics and theater. He lettered multiple times in football, track and basketball; played all-state football, track and American Legion baseball; and was named outstanding athlete of 1948. Not surprisingly, he was awarded an athletic scholarship to the University of Nevada Reno.

While attending UNR Myron earned letters in football and track and was the sports editor of the university newspaper. He was a member of both Sigma Delta Chi (a journalism fraternity) and Lambda Chi Alpha. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in journalism in 1952, returning to Las Vegas to work at the Las Vegas Review-Journal as a sports editor.

Myron attended law school at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, where he also met and married his wife, Shirley. After graduating in 1956, he returned to Las Vegas and began practicing law. Prior to taking office as a Justice of the Supreme Court of Nevada, Myron held several offices: Justice of the Peace, Clark County Commissioner, Las Vegas City Commissioner, Lieutenant Governor, and District Court Judge.

While chairman of the county commission, four new courtrooms were built, a county morgue was funded, and the expansion of the Clark County Health District complex was completed. He was elected to chair a joint city/county committee which examined ways to consolidate services provided by both entities. As Lt. Governor, he cast the deciding vote to break a tie retaining capital punishment in the state. He was also successful in halting action to remove the Lt. Governor as President of the Senate.

In 1984 Myron was appointed to the judicial bench as a District Court Judge, where he served three terms until 1998. During that time, Judge Leavitt served as president of the Nevada District Court Judges Association and twice as Chief Judge of the Eight Judicial District. He consistently received high ratings from his fellow bar members. Justice Leavitt was elected to the Nevada Supreme Court in 1998, where he served until his untimely death in 2004.

In addition to his elected offices, Justice Leavitt served as: Deputy City Attorney for North Las Vegas, chair of the County Health District Board, an original member of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Commission, a member of the County Juvenile Probation Committee, chair of the County Bicentennial Commission, and a director on the Nevada League of Cities board.

DeArmond Sharp (EI 502; 1937 - )

DeArmond was born in 1937 in Manila (Philippine Islands), where his father, J. Frank Sharp, was employed as a mining engineer in a gold mine in Baggio (both parents were born and raised in Nevada). The family returned to Nevada in 1939 and soon settled in Kimberly (which no longer exists), a booming Nevada copper mine at the time.

When the price of copper dropped after end of World War II, the underground mines in Kimberly shut down and the school closed so DeArmond attended school in Ruth, Nevada in grades 5-7. The family then moved to Safford, Arizona where his father was supervising a drilling program for a potential mine and DeArmond attended 8th grade. The family moved back to Kimberly shortly after.

DeArmond's high school years were spent at White Pine High in Ely, Nevada which was nine miles from Kimberly. (Students from McGill, Ruth, Kimberly, Ely and ranches all went to high school in Ely.) He rode the bus to Ely and back for class and at night for basketball games. He played on the football team for three years, was co-editor of the yearbook, worked on school paper, wrote a White Pine sport articles for the Las Vegas Review Journal along with other usual high school activities.

In the fall of 1956, DeArmond enrolled at the University of Nevada in Reno and pledged Lambda Chi Alpha along with several other White Pine graduates. The house at the time was recently constructed, with the Chapter having moved into the house earlier that year. DeArmond recalls doing his house jobs as a pledge to the exacting standards of the house manager Neil Romero (EI 427) who was a Navy vet and brooked no excuses or sloppy work. DeArmond moved into the house in fall of 1957 and stayed until he graduated in 1960 and enjoyed every minute.

DeArmond attributes Lambda Chi for allowing him -- a self-described shy person from a small town -- to mature, gain confidence and develop leadership skills. His experience in the House also helped form lasting relationships (most notably with Peter Breen (EI 489), Bob Shirley (EI 549), and wife Joyce, of Gamma Phi Beta sorority), and prompt campus involvement (Blue Key, Coffin & Keys and chairman of the 1960 Mackay Days Committee). DeArmond also chaired and successfully managed Ben Echeverria's (EI 530) campaign for student body president in spring 1960. Epsilon-Iota members elected him High Tau and High Alpha, which provided learning experience and training that can't be purchased for any amount. When he was High Tau, the High Pi became a lasting friend and was as a client of the law office that DeArmond joined when he finished law school.

Upon graduation in May 1960, DeArmond was admitted to Stanford Law School. He attributed his admission in no small part to his experiences as a member of Lambda Chi Alpha. Not only did he have the opportunity to participate in Chapter and University activities, but he learned to budget his time and devote the effort required to meet Stanford's academic requirements.

Upon graduation from law school in 1963, DeArmond and Joyce moved back to Reno where DeArmond started practicing law and served for several years as High Pi and then as a member of Kappa Lambda, Inc. (aka House Board). DeArmond has been active in Washoe County Bar Association (President), State Bar of Nevada (Board of Governors for nine years; President 1982-83), American Bar Association (member, House of Delegates). He was also selected by Governor Richard Bryan in 1986 to serve as his designee on the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency's Governing Board for two years.

DeArmond and Joyce have two grown children: daughter Stefanie, an attorney, son Kyle, a business executive, and three beautiful grandchildren (twin girls and a boy). DeArmond is active in the Real Property Section of the State Bar of Nevada, a member of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers and an officer in the Sierra Chapter of the BMW Club of America. His hobbies include driving his BMW M3 at high performance driving schools at race tracks in California and Nevada.

2003 Inductees

Fred Anderson (EI 14; 1906 - 2003)

Fred Anderson was born in 1906 on a small ranch in Secret Pass, Nevada (Elko County). He spent most of his youth rural Nevada, on ranches and in copper mining towns, working as a cowboy, a soda jerk and a mine laborer.

When he graduated from White Pine High School in 1923, Fred thought he might want to be a civil engineer. He went to work for the Nevada Consolidated Copper Company at Ruth to save up money for college, but soon decided that if an engineering job meant a lot of hard labor, he might want to reconsider. He quit the mining job and hired on at the Ruth drugstore, where he became interested in pharmacology. He enrolled in an International Correspondence School and later passed the Nevada State examination and was licensed to practice as a pharmacist. When he enrolled at the University of Nevada in 1924, his interest led him to enter the pre-medicine curriculum.

Fred attended the University during a time when it was a small state school, continually strapped for money, but blessed with outstanding instructors, including Peter Frandsen (as in, Frandsen Humanities Building), the man Fred called the "ideal teacher."

Fred graduated in 1928 and was named a Rhodes Scholar, which made it possible for him to continue pursuing his career. He studied medicine at Oxford in 1929 and then went on to complete his medical degree at Harvard. After completing a number of internships, Fred returned to Nevada to start his first practice in Carson City. Before he could become well established, World War II broke out and he volunteered to serve in the Army.

During WWII, Fred served first as a battalion surgeon in Southern California, then as Chief of the General Surgery and Vascular Surgery Sections at Letterman Hospital in San Francisco. He ended his four-year military career serving in the Pacific as Chief of Surgical Service at the 148th Surgical Field Hospital on Saipan in 1945. After the war, Fred relocated his practice to Reno, where within a few years he was established as one of the state's most respected surgeons.

Fred took a great interest in the University of Nevada and the Alumni Association. He was eventually elected to the Board of Regents in 1956, where he served for 22 years, four of these as chairman. He took a leading role in the development of many new programs and the construction of many new buildings. He worked tirelessly to obtain millions of dollars in private funding for the University and his work as a regent helped make it possible to establish a medical school: the School of Health Sciences. The title, "Father of the School of Medicine," given to him by the school's first graduating class, is appropriate, as was the naming of the first building at the school, the Anderson Health Sciences Building.

Fred ran for United States Senator in the Democratic primary in 1958 and lost by a little over 1,400 votes. His interests in politics, higher education, the humanities, community service, the Washoe Indians and travel never superseded his love of and interest in medicine. His legacy lives on through the School of Health Sciences and through the Epsilon-Iota Legacy Center.

Alan Bible (EI 17; 1909 - 1988)

Alan Bible was born in Lovelock, Nevada in 1909. He received his bachelor's degree from the University of Nevada in 1930 and went on to Georgetown University Law School, where he graduated in 1934. Alan was a protege of Nevada Democratic Senator Pat McCarran and during his time at Georgetown, Alan was hired as an elevator operator on Capitol Hill with Senator McCarran's recommendation.

Alan returned to Nevada and after being admitted to the Nevada Bar in 1935, he joined McCarran's law firm as an associate partner. He was the Storey County District Attorney and the Deputy State Attorney General of Nevada before being elected to State Attorney General in 1942, a post he held until 1950 when he returned to private practice.

Although he ran for and lost his first race for the Senate in 1952 (by just 475 votes), Alan Bible was elected in 1954 to fill the vacancy left by the death of his long-time friend Pat McCarran. Re-elected three times, Senator Bible served in the U.S. Senate for twenty years, retiring in 1974.

During his time in the Senate, among other obligations, he served on the Committee on the District of Columbia, the Joint Committee on Washington Metropolitan Problems, and the Senate Select Committee on Small Business. After the assassination of President Kennedy, he proposed that 50 million silver dollars be minted with the President's likeness. He supported President Johnson's Great Society policies as well as his Vietnam policy, but in 1968 Bible said of America's involvement there, "We have learned a lesson that we cannot police the entire world."

Senator Bible was probably best known for his advocacy of national parks. During his tenure as the chairman of the Interior Committee's Subcommittee on Parks and Recreation, he helped create over 85 parks, historic sites and national monuments. The 23,000 acre Gateway National Recreation Area along the New York-New Jersey shoreline, the 53,000 acre Point Reyes National Park in California, the 26,000 acre Cape Cod National Seashore in Massachusetts and an expansion of the Toiyabe National Forest in Nevada, are just a few examples of areas he helped to protect and preserve for future generations.

Senator Alan Bible died in 1988, survived by his wife Loucile Jacks Bible, a daughter, three sons and seven grandchildren. His name can be seen in several locations in Nevada: the Alan Bible Federal Building in Las Vegas, the Alan Bible Visitor Center at the Lake Mead National Recreation Area, and UNR College of Liberal Arts Alan Bible Teaching Excellence Award, to name a few.

Peter Breen (EI 489; 1938 - )

Peter I. Breen was born in Reno in 1939, but was raised in Goldfield and Tonopah, Nevada. Both his father and his grandfather served as District Court judges and Peter's legal career might be said to have begun when he began working in his father's office at the age of fourteen. Peter graduated from Tonopah High School in 1956 and went on to graduate from the University of Nevada Reno in 1960. He attended the University of Santa Clara Law School, where he graduated in 1963.

Returning to Nevada, Peter practiced law in Reno and Carson City until 1967 when he went to work as Deputy attorney general, a post he held for three years before returning to private practice. He was a partner in the firm of Emerson and Breen at the time of his appointment to the bench. Governor Mike O'Callaghan made Peter's appointment to the Second Judicial District in 1974, making him among the state's youngest judges at age 34. Judge Breen went on to be elected six times to the post without opposition, serving 32 years (the longest sitting judge in Nevada history) before his retirement in 2006.

In the mid-1970s Judge Kenneth "Pat" Mann (Breen's cousin), sat on the Fifth Judicial District Court. When he was stricken with cancer, the newly appointed Judge Breen stepped in to help. Once each week, he would get up early and make the drive to Goldfield and Tonopah to keep the court calendar moving. He continued this grueling schedule, handling his own court calendar, as well as Judge Mann's, until Mann passed away four months later.

Judge Breen was instrumental in establishing several Washoe County Specialty Courts including the Adult Drug Court (now a model studied by other jurisdictions), which offers criminal offenders the chance to stay out of jail as long as they stay clean, go to treatment/counseling programs, and report routinely to the Court. Breen also instituted the Mental Health Court, one of only 30 such programs nationwide, that assists offenders with mental illness or mental retardation. The result of these programs is a reduced number of arrests and jail time for participants. In 2006, Judge Breen received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Nevada Justice Association.

Judge Breen is an avid outdoorsman and historian. He is a founding member of the Washoe County Courthouse Historical Preservation Society, which was formed in 1999 to preserve and restore the beautiful old courthouse in Reno. For years he has attended the "Jim Butler Days" celebration in Tonopah, even serving as the parade Grand Marshall. He kept a poster of the event in his office for 20 years, frequently extolling the virtues of his childhood home.

Cliff Young (EI 215; 1922 - )

C. Clifton "Cliff" Young was born in 1922 in Lovelock, Nevada, the son of Clarence and Florence Young. His father studied engineering at the University of Nevada, was admitted to the Nevada Bar in 1950 and operated the general hardware store in Lovelock. His mother worked as a reporter for the Nevada Review-Miner and Reno newspapers and managed the ranching interests of the Young family. Cliff graduated from Pershing County High School in 1939 and the University of Nevada in 1943. He served in the U.S. Army's 103rd Infantry Division during WWII, which included action in France, Germany and Austria. He was discharged as a major in 1946 and graduated from Harvard law School in 1949. That same year he returned to Nevada and established his law practice in Reno.

Cliff began his public service career in 1950 when he was elected as the Washoe County Public Administrator. He was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1952 (the same year he married Loretta) and served two terms before being defeated in the Senate race by incumbent Senator Alan Bible. In 1966 Cliff was elected to the Nevada State Senate and noted at one time that he was one of only three Republicans. "We could hold our caucus in a phone booth," Young said. While in the State Senate, Cliff was know to be articulate, persuasive and humorous. He once equated a pending bill with a woman's bikini: "It covers the essentials but leaves much to the imagination."

He left the State Senate in 1980 after accomplishing much to expand the state's park system. Many of Nevada's state parks exist today due to his efforts. While he used his time in the Nevada State Senate to improve and expand the state park system, many people are unaware of the extent of his interest in conservation and the environment. He served two terms as the president of the National Wildlife Federation, an organization with over four million members.

In 1984, Cliff was elected to the Nevada State Supreme Court, where he served for 18 years before retiring in 2002. He was instrumental in many successful judicial reforms: the Criminal Appeal "Fast Track" program, the Nevada Court Annexed Arbitration Program, and the Supreme Court Settlement Program to name a few.

In 2002 the University of Nevada Oral History Program chronicled Justice Young's oral history, which covers in detail his work to influence court reform and discusses death penalty cases, bench memos, overcrowding of prisons, and fast track settlements. The oral history also gives a glimpse of the man who enjoys music, painting, poetry, fishing, hunting, horses, friends and family.

2002 Inductees

Peter Echeverria (EI 206; 1918 - 2000)

Peter Echeverria (Pete) was born on June 29, 1918 in Shoshone, Idaho. He was the son of a Basque sheepherder. The family lived in Hailey, Idaho until Pete was about seven years old, and then settled in Ely, Nevada, where Pete attended public school and worked as a butcher's apprentice, a trade that would help him earn his way through the University of Nevada in Reno.

During his years at the University of Nevada, Pete teamed up with his good friend and roommate, Cliff Young (later to become Nevada Supreme Court Justice Young), to become the duo that won the Far West Debate Championship. It was also during this time that he met Frances Arenaz, his future wife and mother of their four children: John, Mike, Teresa and Chris.

Pete served in the U.S. Army during World War II and was a decorated infantry captain. After returning from service, he entered and graduated from Stanford Law School and started his 34-year legal career. Over the years, Pete took on a number of high profile cases and earned a reputation as a great orator with a "trip-hammer" mind and the ability to charm jurors. In 1951 and 1953, Pete served as the Special Assistant Attorney General for the Nevada Legislature. He served in the Nevada State Senate from 1959 to 1963. He had been on the State Planning Board for ten years when Governor Mike O'Callaghan appointed him Chairman of the Nevada Gaming Commission in 1973.

While on the Gaming Commission, Pete opposed the licensing of Frank "Lefty" Rosenthal in Nevada's casino industry. This led to a major court battle that resulted in the affirmation of Nevada's strict gaming laws and landed Rosenthal in Nevada's infamous "Black Book." In an interview after leaving the Commission in 1977, Pete was quoted as saying he had to "stand up strong and hard" against those who would corrupt the state's casinos.

Pete's other career highlights include: National President of the American Board of Trial Advocates (the only person at the time elected twice to that position), and founder of the Nevada Trial Lawyers Association. The Association awarded him the Lifetime Achievement Award, acknowledging him as one of the finest trial attorneys in America. He was also a member of the American College of Trial Attorneys, the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, the State Bar of Nevada, and the Washoe County Bar Association.

Pete was proud of his Basque heritage and helped organize the first Basque Festival held in Sparks, Nevada in 1959. After his passing in July of 2000, the Peter Echeverria Scholarship was established at UNR. It is awarded to a Nevada student, preferably of Basque descent, who minors in Basque Studies.

Ernest Inwood (Kappa Lambda; 1906? - 2002)

Ernest Inwood was born in Chicago, Illinois around 1906. He came west with his family in 1920 when his father went to work for Kennecott Copper Company in Ely, Nevada. Ernest enjoyed the outdoors and was a frequent visitor to local lakes and streams for fly-fishing excursions.

In 1923, Ernest enrolled at the University of Nevada and joined the then two-year old local fraternity, Kappa Lambda. He convinced his high school friend and fishing buddy, Fred Anderson, to pledge. Ernest knew (Sen.) Alan Bible, Charles Russell and Sidney Robinson and many of the founding members of Kappa Lambda. The original house at 255 University Terrace was a private home before it was sold to the non-profit Kappa Lambda House Corporation. He had graduated by the time this fraternity became part of the national Lambda Chi Alpha family, and was never assigned a PIN number.

Ernest served as the editor of the student newspaper The Sagebrush during his junior and senior years, and developed a close friendship with University President, Walter Clark. He graduated in 1927 with a degree in economics. He was nominated for a Rhodes scholarship but turned down the opportunity to study at Oxford to pursue his doctorate at the University of California at Berkley, where he graduated in 1935.

In his many years as an educator, Ernest taught at several institutions: City College of New York, University of Nevada, San Jose State, and Eastern College (near Philadelphia). In addition, as a Fulbright Scholar in 1948, Ernest was assigned to the University of Rangoon in Burma. The book, The Fulbright Difference by Richard Arnt and David Lee Rubin, recounts how Ernest, with his wife Alice and three children, found themselves living across the road from a battery of artillery guns. One night the battery officers knocked on his door and asked if they could spread their maps on his dining room table under decent light so they could plot firing data against neighboring troops.

Other career and personal highlights include: Controller at Scott Motor Company in Reno, head of the Nevada Office of Price Administration during WWII, Economist at the U.S. State Department, Director of Business Planning at Railway Express Company, Director of the Church Center for the United Nations, International Auditor at Wycliffe Bible Translators, and a volunteer helping senior citizens wade through the health care maze in the California Health Insurance and Counseling Program.

Until his passing in 2002 at the age of 96, Ernest L. Inwood was the oldest living graduate of UNR and the oldest surviving member of Epsilon Iota Zeta of Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity. His book, Turning Points: An Autobiography will be available in the Lambda Chi Alpha Legacy Center.

Hans Wolfe (EI 318; 1918 - 2002)

Hans Wolfe was born on December 14, 1918 in Vienna, Austria. He immigrated to America as a teenager, joining his sister in Los Angeles. Hans originally came to the Reno area to work on a dude ranch, but ended up working at the Washoe County Hospital Farm, doing everything from milking cows to acting as a purchasing agent for the hospital.

In 1940, Hans enrolled at the University of Nevada and join the Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity. While working full time at the hospital and maintaining a full load of classes, Hans still found time to join the ski team and play trumpet in the band. He also worked with the local snow survey team, measuring snow pack in the Sierra Nevada range each winter; skiing in the remote terrain off of Kingsbury Grade.

Hans' education was interrupted when he was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1942. He spent a portion of his service assigned to the Manhattan Project and also served in the Pacific Theater. Returning to Reno in 1946, Hans re-enrolled as a junior and was elected as Student Body President. As President, he sat on the Board of Athletics, which hires (and fires) sports team coaches. In 1947 Hans graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry.

Hans joined the Esso Oil Company (now ExxonMobil, the largest oil company in the world). His duties took him all over the world and he had the opportunity to live in the Caribbean, Venezuela, Belgium, Germany and Spain. Fluent in four languages, he was ultimately put in charge of Exxon's governmental relations group, working with foreign government officials in many countries. While working in Dutch Aruba, Hans met his wife Mimi. Married in 1951, they raised three children, two of whom live in Reno and one in Los Angeles.

After retiring from Exxon, Hans returned to Reno, where he began his second career, heading up government relations for the First National Bank of Nevada. Over the next twenty years, Hans was a member of many local organizations, including the UNR Alumni Association. He routinely met, worked, and socialized with mayors, legislators, and state officials, and was on a first name basis with many of Nevada's governors. He was the chairman of several organizations, including the Truckee Meadows Community College Graduate Board and the Nevada District Export Council. He also served on the Advisory Board of the UNR School of Mines and was a major contributor to the UNR Chemical Engineering Department.

In 1991, Hans dictated an oral history of his life as a student in the 1940s and the important role education played in his professional life. He notes how much his fraternity experience meant to him and that some of his closest friends were made in the fraternity. As a member of the Lambda Chi Restoration Project in the last years of his life, Hans showed his life-long dedication to the fraternity he loved by working to restore the Lambda Chi Alpha chapter house at UNR.

Hans passed away in 2002 and was inducted soon thereafter into the Lambda Chi Alpha Legacy Center. A copy of his oral history will be available in the Legacy Center where his memory will live on to inspire others.